Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:29:29 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Subject:   Re: John Balwdin's proc-locking patch

John Baldwin wrote:
> Actually, I tried to do it piecemeal and ended up with a kernel that wouldn't
> boot. :(

I've done the same thing.

There's a lot of code that, if it's broken into bite-sized
chunks, loses its relevence.  Such code is only valid when
you look at "the big picture".  Bite-sized chunks are almost
always too small to build a big picture.

The idea that you can get from any point A to any point B in
evolutionary steps is really, really, broken.  At best, you
get punctiuated equilibrium, and have to take hits on the
big things as ...well, big hits of a lot of code at once.

Historically, the routing code rewrite orphaned ISODE and
X.25, the CAM code orphaned many IDE controllers and the
AHA 1540/1542 and 1510, etc..

Disruptive technology is the price of progress, and trying
to make the transition nice and safe always is why companies
like Shugart aren't the leading disk manufacturers today.

Personally, I'd rather take the pain of a John Dyson unifying
the VM or a Julian Elisher pounding KSE's into a square hole,
or Kirk McKusick designing a UFS2, than trying to figure out
how to cross the Grand Canyon with "baby steps".

And it's not like the source control system couldn't let you
back out the changes in a month, should it turn out they were
an incredibly bad idea.  ...if they were an incredibly good
idea, on the other hand, you're just that much farther ahead.

I'd like to see the code committed, so that it can be pounded
on, and I'd like to see Jonathan Lemon's sysctl for the NETISR
removal committed and on by default, and I'd like to see the
kernel preemption patches _in_, and I'd like to see Luigi's
polling changes become niversal.  And those are just the obvious
examples that leap to mind.

A six month delay in all this work means a six month delay in
everything that anyone could possibly think to build on top of
it, and _that_ would be the real loss.

-- Terry