Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:29:02 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   union_lookup panic ...

G'day ...

  Altho it is rare, we are getting union_lookup panics on our server(s)
... as most on this list already know, we make heavy use of unionfs to
share between jails, and I already know that this is the "kernel side"
cause of the problem ... but ...

  From what I can tell, though, the "trigger" for the panic is pkg_delete
... if I build a jail'd environment, using unionfs, SSH into it, make
install a port and then pkg_delete it, it will cause the panic ...

  The machine that it happened to recently isn't the "fullest" one we
have, nor the busiest ... the 'busiest' one we have just went 31 days up,
with all the inherient create/delete/moves/etc of files ...

  Even on a test box I tried a little while back, where the only activity
on the box was my doing the pkg_delete, it panic's, so it seems to be very
easy to recreate, but it seems to revolve completely around pkg_delete ;(

  Anyone have an idea of what pkg_delete could be doing to trigger it,
that nothing else seems to do?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org