Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 2004 06:15:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hideki Yamamoto <yamamoto436@oki.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 bridge + gif tunnel

Hi,

I would like to make my problems clear.
I have two questions about bridge function in the following figure.

(1) Can we use bridge function over psuedo devices such as
    gif and tun?

 box3# ifconfig bge0 inet 133.149.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
 box2# ifconfig create gif0
 box2# gifconfig gif0 inet 133.149.0.2 133.149.1.2
 box2# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge: 1
 box2# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: fxp0,gif0

 box3# ifconfig bge1 inet 133.149.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
 box3# ifconfig create gif1
 box3# gifconfig gif1 inet 133.149.1.2 133.149.0.2
 box3# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge: 1
 box3# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: gif1,fxp0

(2) Can any protocols go through between IPv6 MC router and
    IPv6 terminal in this step2 figure?  Are there any limitations?
    Is IPv6 packet available?

> <<STEP2>> IPv6 bridge cascaded by gif tunnel
>
>                               +------box#2------------------+
>   [IPv6 MC router ]-+---------+-(fxp0) IPv6 bridge          |
>                               |                             |
>                               |                             |
>          (IPv4)133.149.0.2 +--+-(bge0) IPv6 bridge and IPv4 |
>                            |  | (gif0) IPv6 over IPv4       |
>                            |  +-----------------------------+
>                      <IPv4 router>
>                            |  +-------box#3-----------------+
>          (IPv4)133.149.1.2 +--+-(bge1) IPv6 bridge and IPv4 |
>                               | (gif1) IPv6 over IPv4       |
>                            +--+-(fxp0) IPv6 bridge          |
>                            |        term#2
>                            +-----[IPv6 terminal(NDP client)]