Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 19:23:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can console be set to page-mode? (scroll off)

On 19 Jan 1998, Leif Neland wrote:

> Golded for linux write a statusline with the time changing every second. Even
> when the last char is a space, the screen scrolls every second, leaving
> statuslines on the whole screen.
>
> Is this scrolling possible to disable?

No, not that I know of. Golded is probably depending on some tweaks in the
Linux console that doesn't wrap when it hits character 25.  Can you tell
golded to not run the clock?

> This only happens on fullscreen (character mode), not in Xterm.
> But on the other hand, in xterm, colours are not used, and arrowkeys look like
> esc to the program.

xterm can do color, you may have to enable it.  The escapes are golded's
fault for not processing the termcap.  Again, it was written with the
Linux console in mind.