Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 01:25:37 CDT
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridging problems.. (WaveLan related?)

I have been trying for over a week now to get bridging working, but
without success.  I have tried both 4.0 and current, but with no
luck.  Anyways, my setup is as follows..

On one end is a Lucent WavePoint attached to the outside world. (Some
sort of switch I believe.  I really don't understand the setup--they
are using some sort of vlan stuff)  I'm tempted to replace the
WavePoint with a PC, but I don't have the hardware for that now.

On my end, I have a box with a wi0 and fxp0--I was hoping to set it
up to do transparent bridging.  So far however, I can't get anything
on this side of the bridge box to talk to the outside world.  I
can see all the network traffic from my box, however I can't talk
through the bridge.

Basically, any arp request that goes out, seems to disappear.  If I
run tcpdump on the wavelan interface, it shows the arp requests,
but never any replies.  I can see incoming arp requests for my box,
and it seems to send the reply, only to be lost somewhere as well.

Another interesting thing occurs from the bridge box itself.  If I
ping the network broadcast, only things on the wavelan side reply.
This may be some irrelevant quirk, I'm not sure.

Has anyone ever set up a box like this?  Will it work with a WavePoint
attached to a switch on the other side?  I can't see why it shouldn't,
but maybe I am missing something.  Does the wavelan network need to be
"ad-hoc" instead of BSS mode?

All I know is this is becoming really irritating.  (Not FreeBSD, but
the fact that we don't have direct access to the network on the other
side.)  We have been trying to get this set up since May, and it has
been a nightmare to deal with the politics and to debug it from one
side.  Ugh.

Any theories/etc would be very welcome..

Thanks,
Chris Csanady