Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:24:06 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to restore 'getty'

At 02:50 PM 9/30/02 +0700, Roger Merritt wrote:
>At 11:13 PM 9/29/02 -0700, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>>gotta build it before you can install it.
>>
>>cd /usr/src/libexec/getty
>>make depend
>>make obj
>>make
>>make install
>>
>>just a thought, anyway.
>>
>>-Adam

Well, that sequence of instructions seemed to work, but rebooting didn't
get my console working. The screen on the console is still hung at "Local
package initialization: apache", and Samba was not started but mysql was.

When I tried running getty manually, I got:

"[root@poppy:~]# /usr/libexec/getty tty
lo?i?:=A0?i3?6=A0(?o???.i??.?c.t??=A0(tt??0?"

and the session froze. I had to close the session and log back in through=
 SSH.

I noticed, though, by running 'ps' before I started Samba, that the
'mysqld' demon had been started, but the script didn't echo 'mysqld' as it
should have. Maybe that's where my problem lies, but then why am I getting
such a weird response from 'getty'?
--=20
Roger