Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:56:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        jason@intercom.com (Jason J. Horton)
Cc:        tr49986@rcc.on.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Games

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, why are there games included in the FreeBSD
> > source tree?
> >
> > For a group of people that was so worried about including dhcp because
> > it's extra code, don't you think it's time to make those games into
> > ports only?
> >
> > I say this under the assumption that they're not required for FreeBSD to
> > function.  (Not like IE for windows ;)
>
> As far as I am concerned, things like fortune, pom, pig and banner
> have been included with BSD-ish systems for ages... Tradition...
> I wouldn't feel the same if I didn't get my fortune every login.
>
> also, don't you have the option to not have the games?

It's not just a matter of turning them off though. A few of the games in the
distro are trademark infringements. While the product I'm developing that
uses FreeBSD doesn't have the games installed, it brought up the comment
from our lawyers "What else are they infringing on that we *are* using?"

(see trek, mille, boggle, tetris, wargames)

Kevin