Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:45:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      telmnstr@757.org
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EV1 Servers makes me sick

>> EV1Servers has never been a major supporter of FreeBSD -- back when
>> they were RackShack, it took a petition of several hundred people
>> before they started offering FreeBSD at all.
>> I wonder if they'll start offering more recent FreeBSD releases next
>> month after FreeBSD 5.4 becomes unsupported...

The real issue is, the Linux distros like redhat have a nice, good, easy,
way to kick the machine on auto as far as major security patches.

In the mainstream world, there is most likely little demand for FreeBSD.
Most people probably don't care so much about the OS, it's more about the
apps. And I believe Linux handles JAVA servers better, and JAVA is the
modern language of business.

In the end, the costs of supporting BSD might be high, in comparison to
Linux.

What could FreeBSD do? How about a system similiar to that offered by
RedHat, or Microsoft's "Windows Update" where major packages are
automatically tracked and updated when there is a flaw?

I'm not trying to knock BSD, although I admit many of my friends who were
hardcore BSD people were alienated with 5.x and 6.x, and have mostly left
for Linux or NetBSD. I do appreciate what the FreeBSD team does, but the
fact is it got a bit too hectic.

Just random thoughts.

When in doubt, rent a server and run whatever you want.