Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:36:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      dougb@scalar.org
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/10647: package gettext-0.10.35.tgz missing lib/libintl.so

>Number:         10647
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       package gettext-0.10.35.tgz missing lib/libintl.so
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm running 3.1-RELEASE, but I use cvsup daily to update /usr/ports to
3.1-STABLE.

I first noticed the problem after installing the meta-port for gnome
1.0.0.  I tried to run panel, and it died with the error message:

dougb@scalar[/home/dougb]% panel
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.1" not found

I didn't know where libintl came from, but I figured that one of the
gnome ports was misbehaving.  After running a find and finding the
files I was after, I realized that libintl is part of gettext.

I thought that the gnome port had simply forgotten to have a dependency
on gettext, so I went and went to /usr/ports/devel/gettext and tried
to do a make install.  An error message told me that gettext was
already installed.

I had looked at /usr/local/lib and saw that there was a libintl.a there
already, but then I realized that gettext had been installed as a
dependency when I first installed some packages on my clean system.

I went into the work directory and noticed there was an libintl.so in
there, so I set FORCE_PKG_REGISTER and did a make install again, which
fixed the problem.

After everything was working fine, I went and downloaded the gettext
packages for both 3.1-STABLE and 3.1-RELEASE and checked to see if
they included libintl.so.  They did not.

I can't figure out if the gnome port is broken or if the gettext
package is broken, so hopefully someone with more experience than I
can step in and fix things up.

Thanks,

Doug
>How-To-Repeat:
pkg_add the gettext-0.10.35.tgz package from 3.1-RELEASE.

Compile the gnome meta-port or some other port that requires gettext
to be a shared library.

Error message should be something like:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.1" not found
>Fix:
Either make the gettext port include libintl.so, or make the gnome
meta-port not want libintl.so.  I'm sorry, but I don't know which
one to do, otherwise I'd include a patch.