Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 2015 22:25:47 +0200
From:      Xavier <xavier@groumpf.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.20 breaks /usr/bin/perl

On 15/08/15 20:59, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> +--On 15 août 2015 21:51:36 +0200 Xavier <xavier@groumpf.org> wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Wondering why nobody does report it yet.
> | I noticed a couple weeks ago, an confirmed today on another computer,
> | that :
> |
> | portupgrade -o lang/perl5.20 lang/perl5.18
> |
> | removes the symlink in /usr/bin, and doesn't recreate it, thus broking
> | all perl scripts and programs.
>
> Yes, it does not create a /usr/bin/perl symlink, starting with Perl 5.20.
>
> If you still need one, and are not using some common shebang, like
> /usr/local/bin/perl, which still works, or /usr/bin/env perl, which also
> still works, create one yourself.
>
> Cordialement, :-)

IMHO, the port should at least emit a warning, since almost every Perl
program I'm aware of (including those I wrote for 20 years, since
MacPerl) use shebang /usr/bin/perl. I even remember it's mentioned in
the Camel Book.

Cordialement,

Xav
--
Xavier HUMBERT - Unix/Win/MacOSX Sysadmin/Network Engineer