Date:      Fri, 1 May 2009 12:46:55 -0500
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow local TCP transfers on -CURRENT

I've been seeing this for a few months now on -CURRENT. TCP transfers
to local IP addresses (but not 127.0.0.1) are incredibly slow.

Transfer from localhost:

# scp "root@127.0.0.1:/boot/kernel/kernel" .
kernel
                                                                           100
%   11MB  11.1MB/s   00:00

Appropriately fast.

Transfer from an IP on a local interface:

# scp "root@216.14.96.4:/boot/kernel/kernel" .
kernel
                                                                             0
%   16KB  13.0KB/s   14:37 ETA

The routes seem normal:

# route get 127.0.0.1
   route to: localhost
destination: localhost
  interface: lo0
      flags: <UP,HOST,DONE,LOCAL>
recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    mtu        weight    expire
       0         0         0         0     16384         1         0

# route -n get 216.14.96.4
   route to: 216.14.96.4
destination: 216.14.96.0
       mask: 255.255.255.128
  interface: nfe0
      flags: <UP,DONE>
recvpipe  sendpipe  ssthresh  rtt,msec    mtu        weight    expire
       0         0         0         0      1500         1         0

nfe0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500

options=19b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4>
        ether 00:30:48:c6:dd:9c

Takes 10-60 minutes to copy, stalling frequently during the transfer.
It's not limited to just scp either, all TCP transfers seem to stall
this way.

I don't believe I'm doing anything unusual, has anyone seen anything
like this?

-- Kevin