Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2015 23:29:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   creating devices under a regular file system

I would like to know how to create a few selected devices
(viz. dev/null and dev/urandom) under a regular directory tree using
devfs.

The background for this is the following:

I use the fossil SCM system for various projects of mine, and keep the
repositories under ~/FOSSIL.  Fossil provides a web interface, which I
employ using inetd, using the following line in /etc/inetd.conf:

http stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/fossil fossil http /home/<uname>/FOSSIL

This works, but I get a warning message "can't open /dev/null and
/dev/urandom", because fossil does a chroot into ~/FOSSIL, where of
course the referenced devices do not exist.  I asked about this on the
fossil mailing list and got the reply that the preferred method of
avoiding the warning message was to create these devices in the
chrooted environment.

I presume that this can be done somehow via devfs, but am failing to
discern how.