Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:25:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Matthew K. Cowger" <mcowger@bowdoin.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Usage of arp -s

I assume the host is in your subnet else you wouldn't be trying to setup a
static ARP for it.  You can always do a broadcast ping of the subnet to
populate your ARP table.  You should see the hosts MAC in the tab;e next
to its IP address.  For example, if your subnet is 192.168.1.0/24, then
do:

ping 192.168.1.255

Let it run for a bit, then do an arp -a.  See what pops up.

Joe Clarke