Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 20:12:42 +0800
From:      "etalk etalk" <yanyuejin2004@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-performance-request@freebsd.org
Subject:   about ufs filesystem io performance!

5.3 vs 6.0
The test tool is Iozone3_257, and the test command is “./iozone -A -f
/mnt/tmpfile.test -g 1g -n 1m -q 8k -y 2k -R -b outfile-Af.xls ”
(http://www.iozone.org/src/current/). We ran all the tests on the same PC
with 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU and 512M main memory. Figure1~Figure5 show the
results of the file system performance comparison between Bsd5.3’s UFS2
and Bsd6.0’s UFS2 when testing with different file system (local, sync,
async, softupdate, sync+softupdate).

According to the figures, our conclusion is:
On all kinds of file systems, the write, rewrite, read and reread
performance of the two is almost same and we cant say that Bsd6.0 make a
improvement on file system IO performance.

http://blog.csdn.net/minerboyIo/Gallery/204114.aspx

linux2.6.11 vs bsd 5.3
The test tool is Iozone3_257, and the test command is “./iozone -A -f
/mnt/tmpfile.test -g 1g -n 4m -q 8k -y 2k -R -b outfile-Af.xls ”
(http://www.iozone.org/src/current/). We ran all the tests on the same PC
with 2.4 GHz Pentium CPU and 512M main memory, Figure1, Figure2, Figure3
show the results of the file system performance comparison between Bsd’s
UFS2 and Linux’ Ext3 (the Linux kernel version is 2.6.11, and the Bsd
kernel version is 5.3) when testing with sync, async and local (Bsd using
softupdate) file system.
According to the figures, our conclusion is:
a.On local file system and async file system, Fedora4’s write and rewrite
is much faster than Bsd5.3’s (about 5-10 times).
b.On all kinds of file systems, the read and reread performance of
FreeBsd5.3 is about 50%-90% lower than that of Fedora4.
c.On sync file system, Bsd5.3 writes several times faster than Fedora4 does
and rewrites over two hundred times faster than Fedora4 does.
http://blog.csdn.net/minerboyIo/Gallery/204107.aspx