Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 03:20:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Michael Bacarella <mbac@mmap.nyct.net>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lint

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> I really rather wish ya'll would develop a new compiler already instead
> of bellyaching over how GCC/GNU philosophy is ruining everything.
>
> Not that you're really saying anything like that, but it seems
> like a common sentiment among the userbase, and I really would
> be interested in seeing (and supporting) a new C compiler. I do
> think you can do better. GCC is pretty slow, for example.

I've always wondered what happened to the old BSD compiler. From what I
understand, it falls under AT&T licensing.  But, you're right.  I believe
a lot of universities (at least Penn State does) offer courses in
"compiler design and implentation".  There ya go.  It's a good topic for a
master's or PhD thesis, plus you could implement a new compiler to boot.

- Donn