Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:59:54 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some h/w recommendations please...

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:56:34PM -0700, Charles Burns wrote:
> Umm, gee I actually thing that the Tyan's are the only boards that use a
> pure AMD760 chipset. I thought there were more, like there were with the
> older AMD750 chipset, but I just started looking and...Nope.

Darn, I was hoping you'd be able to prove me wrong about that :-)  Oh well.

> The specific motherboard that I recommend for you is the Abit KG-7. It is
> the only non dual-CPU board that supports all 4 memory slots, is rock solid,
> has optional IDE RAID (big whoop with Vinum and all, but always nice if you
> are also going to use Windows) and it has a fairly good price.
> It does use the VIA southbridge, but from reading up on the lastest BIOS
> updates, there are no known problems with this now.

The KG-7 was already top of my list, for much the same reasons as you
cite.  The RAID version might be nice if it can be configured as just
another pair of IDE channels (I know the BIOS on some boards won't let you
do this).  The Gigabyte GA7-DXR also seems like a nice board with a
slightly lower spec and slightly lower price.

I don't suppose you have any recommendations for a good but reasonably
quiet PSU and heatsink/fan combination?  I'm aiming to make this machine as
quiet as possible given the ridiculous amount of cooling needed by an
Athlon.  I guess that temperature-sensing variable speed fans are the way
to go.  Overclockers UK (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/) have a bunch of
Enermax units that you were saying nice things about in another thread, so
they may be a good bet.  I should note that I have no intention of
overclocking anything, but I'm assuming that components that can keep an
overclocked system alive will be more than enough for one that isn't.

> Please note that you can get the Tyan TigerMP motherboard for about $80
> more, and have the option to get a second CPU in the future. I use this
> board now.
> Other than the fact that it absolutely hates to have an Intel Pro/100+
> management NIC in PCI slot + 6 when running Windows, it is an extremely
> stable board.

I might just look into that...:-)

Many thanks,

	Scott