Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 05:10:19 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Nguyen Tam Chinh <chinhngt@sectorb.msk.ru>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running large DB's on FreeBSD

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Bill Moran wrote:

> Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>>     I am in the process of implementing a fairly large mysql server for
>> an even larger company, and naturally i want to use FreeBSD. The
>> hardware will be an HP DL385, 2 x dual-core Opterons, 16GB RAM,  7 x 15k
>> rpm disks in a RAID5 setup.
>
> Generally speaking, RAID 5 is known for lousy performance in database
> loads.  Consider using RAID 10.
>
>>     So, first of all, am i crazy for choosing fbsd+mysql for this rather
>> than something like Solaris + Oracle? :)
>
> Well, you should be using FreeBSD+PostgreSQL, but that's just my religion.

This is not another holy war, we also have a dual Xeon 3.6, 2xSCSI RAID0,
8GB of RAM  and a database of 40Gb. But after using mysql 5.0 with all
performance tricks I found in google and FreeBSD Wiki page, we decided to
change to PostgreSQL and now are happy with it.

PS. RAID5 is a bad choice for large DB. I'd recommended a RAID0 with
standalone backup server.

-----
With best regards,          |            The Power to Serve
Nguyen Tam Chinh            |          http://www.FreeBSD.org
Loc: sp.cs.msu.su           |