Date:      Mon, 2 May 2005 10:58:43 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From:      gandalf@digital.net
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and the Rose Attack / NewDawn

Greetings and Salutations:

I *just* got my FreeBSD setup stable and working witha  KDE GUI. :-).  I know, easy for you guys but this is the first time I have set up FreeBSD with automatic updates.  I settled on FreeBSD 5.4 after many tries.

I tried the Rose Attack / NewDawn against my laptop (it is a slow Pentium II 400 MHz Dell Inspiron 7000):
http://digital.net/~gandalf/Rose_Frag_Attack_Explained.htm

Specifically:
./NewDawn4 1 <IP Address> 0 5 9999 99999999 4000 2

My machine locked up at pretty close to 100% when viewing the top command.

I asked a fellow worker who had a PIII 733 MHz to take a look and he reported about 70% CPU increase.

FYI.  You might wish to take a look into this, IMHO this is a decent CPU DOS.

Ken

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and
quick to anger.
Ken Hollis - Gandalf The White - gandalf@digital.net - O- TINLC
WWW Page - http://gandalf.home.digital.net/
Trace E-Mail forgery - http://gandalf.home.digital.net/spamfaq.html