Date:      Sun, 06 Feb 2011 23:36:22 +0800
From:      Martin Wilke <miwi@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        pgollucci@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [HEADS UP] Python Infrastructure changes Roadmap

I just want to inform you that the python team plans to make some
infrastructure changes.
The changes involves the following 3 steps:

[python 2.5/2.6/2.7 improvements/ py 3.2 adding]
We plan to integrate some important patches:
ports/153952 ports/148406 ports/149167 ports/152224 ports/133081

python 3.2 will be released on 12 Feb, we'll wait for the final release
before adding it to the build. For all of these we will do an exp-run
to make sure nothing will break during the build. It takes approximately
2 weeks if all works fine.

[python24 removal]
Python 2.4 is not supported anymore since 2008, and it has a lot of
security problems.
Unfortunately this will cause the removal of some zope stuff. The
following ports are affected:

www/zope210
www/zope211
www/zope28
www/zope29
+ zope plugins which are dependent on one of these ports. Philip
(pgollucci) is working on an
update to some new zope versions. I hope we can cooperate with him to
get things
smoothly done. For all these we will do an exp-run to make sure nothing
will break during
build. It takes approximately 3 weeks if all works fine.

[python 2.7 move to default]
python 2.7 is already stable enough to be moved over as default. For
this one we will do an exp-run
to make sure nothing will break during the build. If all works fine, we
think we can complete it by the
first week of March.

--
With best Regards,
     Martin Wilke (miwi_(at)_FreeBSD.org)

        \\Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest//