Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2013 23:01:40 -0700
From:      John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SOLVED: Re: NFS locking between 8.3-STABLE (jan 2013) and 9.2-BETA2 -- Firefox SQLite locking issue

> About all you need to do is add a "V4: ..." line to your /etc/exports
> and then set nfsv4_server_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and reboot.
> On the client mount, you need to add "nfsv4" as a mount option.
I had to enable the proper daemons and mount on the client from the
actual server mount point (previously in NFSv3 I could mount a symbolic
link which pointed to the actual disk--now with NFSv4 I couldn't do
that, but it's OK) but it worked!

After I got my home dir to mount under NFSv4 I went into Xorg and fired
up Firefox (with a brand new profile just to be on the safe side) and
BOOM! Everything works that Firefox relies on SQLite for (bookmarks, and
link history). Bookmark editor as well as the <- and -> arrows show up
and work now as expected.

I am running 8.4-STABLE as of Aug 6th on my server (it will be upgraded
to 9.2-STABLE once I can find the time) and the client is 9.2-BETA2 just
for the record. So it seems that 8.x and 9.x talk to each other just
fine. I have not noticed anything odd performancewise--just that when I
"umount" the directory it seems to "think about it" for 10-15 seconds
before doing it. I don't know if that's just the "way it is" or if I can
configure something more fine-tuned.

However, I'm just happy--actually ecstatic--that it's working. That was
my last missing link (no pun intended) to letting the "users" in the
house on this new machine as their new desktop. Can't have FF broken! :)

Thanks all for your responses and help.

-jr