Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 23:15:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback

> Randall Hopper writes:
> >
> >      Generally good results, except for the reboot I just posted about...
> > Here are a few problems I had and general comments.
>
> This past week I put together a new system. Asus P2B-S MB (with SCSI),
> 128MB PC100 ECC, P-II 400. Two IBM DDRS 9G SCSI HD's. No IDE drives
> other than an IDE ZIP (not detected by NT or FreeBSD, its on the 2nd IDE
> bus, as a slave, with no master. Really need to fix that.)
>
> My NT 4.0 SP1 CDROM didn't recognize the SCSI, not too suprised. Then
> fed it the Asus/Adaptec driver disk. Installed drivers. Still didn't
> find any HD's. Noticed the driver disk was version 3.01 while 3.02 was
> at the Asus site. That didn't do any different.
>
> However, the 3.2-RELEASE CDROM booted (via ATAPI CDROM) and was
> perfectly happy to install. Let it do "make buildworlds" most all day
> Friday. About 70 minutes per iteration, about 10 minutes to
> "rm -rf /usr/obj/*; chflags -R noschg /usr/obj; rm -rf /usr/obj/*"
> I find it faster to do it in the above order with the extra rm in
> front. This way the chflags operation only has to walk the tree thru
> the files that need chflag'ing.
>
> Wrote a "compatible" partition table to the disks in sysinstall hoping
> that would be the thing for NT to find the drives. Nope.
>
> Its time to bother Asus and the MB vendor.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net
> The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
> capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

Regarding SCSI drives recognition in NT with that particular ASUS motherboard:
Use those 3 NT installation floppy drives instead of the CD,
and the floppy drive with the SCSI-U2 driver for that board.

The problem is that they've got a different sequence of HD probing
and device driver installation on the floppies and on the CD
for the case when it get to the devices that aren't
supported by the drivers included on the CD.

So, use the floppies to boot with, then when it asks - feed the SCSI-U2
driver floppy, and the CD-ROM when it asks for it.

If you need further details, feel free to ask me - otherwise it's
not in the scope of this list.

Cheers!

Igor