Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 17:51:52 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        jphdumas@lemel.fr
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv pal-secam

Hi,
I will answer where I can.

> - How can I know if the tuner in the card is a TEMIC or a PHILIPS ?
This is one area where the Win95 driver helps.
However, I see you are using 2.2.7. This comes with a rather
old bt848 driver.
The latest bt848 driver (which is part of 3.0-current has much better
Hauppauge Tuner detection.

> at boot time the kernel tell me something about the card, sure, but
> *everytime* it is *different*
Sounds like the i2c bus is giving strange results on your card.
The 2.2.7 driver uses the i2c bus to detect the card type and
tuner type.
If all i2c addresses respond, it can assume it is an Intel card.

> -In the last bt848 driver I found, a file is missing : opt-bktr.h,
> I had to backtrack to the vanilla code of 2.2.7. Where can I find
> a *complete* bt848 driver source, recent of course, or at least
> the opt-bktr.h
Well opt-bktr.h is auto generated. You need to add the following line
to /sys/i386/conf/options.i386
OVERRIDE_CARD     opt_bktr.h
OVERRIDE_TUNER    opt_bktr.h

Get these files from the 'current sources'
brooktree848.c
brktree.h
ioctl_bt848.h

> -How do I know that the fxtv/driver recognize the DSP chip supposed
> to give me stereo NICAM sound ? It is on the board.

use the dmesg command.
I have this on my machine.
  bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x12 int a irq 18 on pci0.13.0
  Intel Smart Video III/VideoLogic Captivator PCI, <none> tuner.
You will see a variation on this. It will say MSP3400 or something.
However, the current driver cannot actually select Stereo Sound.
Just mono sound will be heard.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman,       | Department of Computer Science,
PhD Research Student, | University of Strathclyde,