Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:36:52 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Chris Knight <bsdmm@ghostwheel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seeking tools for use with a Win/TV card.

Chris Knight:
 |  I have recently installed a Win/TV card in my FreeBSD box, and am looking
 |for tools that would allow me to capture single frames, preferably with
 |brightness controll or some mechanism for auto adjustment.

Check out Roger's:
   ftp://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/examples/grab.c.

It does single-frame captures and writes frames in PPM format.

 |  I have modified the meteor capture tool at /usr/share/example/meteor, and
 |it is working, but I will need to be aqble to adjust the brightness/contrast.

Just add a few:
    ioctl( c->tfd, BT848_SBRIG, &larg )
and:
    ioctl( c->tfd, BT848_SCONT, &larg )

unfortunately, these aren't device-independent values.  larg needs to be
values in:

  ( BT848_BRIGHTREGMIN   , BT848_BRIGHTREGMAX   ) or
  ( BT848_CONTRASTREGMIN , BT848_CONTRASTREGMAX )

 |  I have also installed fxtv, which although it is fantastic, doesn't seem
 |to do single frame captures.  At least, not from what I see in the help
 |display.

Fxtv is a gui app and doesn't do batch-mode single frame captures.
However, you can interactively do it with freeze frame (camera button) and
then File->ImageSave to save image to disk.

 |  The end goal is to be using the Win/TV card, in conjunction with a X-10
 |wireless video camera, for a webcam.

Right, you want batch-mode frame captures.  Try Roger's tool.

Randall