Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:31:17 -0400
From:      "All-Ireland Racing/Guinness Cycling Team" <Guinnessbike@mail.iowna.com>
To:        "Walter Hop" <walter@binity.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: How to keep a process from eating >n percent CPU?

>> That's pretty odd. What are you nicing it to?
>
>Only 1 lower for now :) I'm a little afraid of downgrading Apache's
>performance while giving priority to non-interactive processes.

It depends on what else the box is doing. xscreensaver nices everything to
20 - which basically means that the screensaver only uses processer time if
NOTHING else needs it.
I doubt you'd want to nice Apache that far, but you might be able to nice it
a little higher, if there's not much else normally going on with that box,
Apache will still get all the processor time (if nothing else is using it)
but will give that up to a process with a lower nice.

>At second thought, it might be a nice idea to maybe give sshd2 a slight
>negative nice value at startup to keep it responsive at hard times (and
>giving users a login shell which renices it to normal)...

That's actually a better idea. That way your just forcing the shell to
pre-empt whatever is slowing things down, so it would help even if Apache
wasn't the problem.

-Bill