Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 10:13:00 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        jodyroy@videotron.ca, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 config

> Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:05:15 -0400
> From: Jody Roy <jodyroy@videotron.ca>
> Subject: Xfree86 config.
>
> how should I config X11 on a ATI Xpert 99, 8M with a Packard bell PB =
> 8528 SVG monitor?

You need to know the horizontal and vertical scan rates of your
monitor to really do it right.  The manual or the manufacturer's
web page should give you that info.  If not,
http://www.nashville.net/~griffin/monitors/Packa01.html
lists it as a 1024x768 monitor.  If you run XF86Setup you can just
tell it you have a 1024x768 SVGA monitor and it should give you a
working configuration.

It is best to set up X when you first install FreeBSD, before you
create additional user accounts, so that the new user accounts get
set up with the proper defaults.  The FreeBSD install program will
include this step if you install X as part of your initial
installation.

You probably also will want to read the FreeBSD Handbook chapter
on configuring X at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x11.html

More info on configuring XFree86 is at http://www.xfree86.org
Also, XFree86 is the same on FreeBSD and Linux (except for some
custom installation programs in some Linux distributions), so if
these references don't give enough info, various tutorials written
for Linux should be helpful.

> Also how can i configure my keyboard to work propely because my "z" is a =
> "w"=20

I've never done it, but you should be able to fix it by running
/stand/sysinstall, then selecting "configure" then "console" and
then "keymap".

-- Bob