Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:02:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linking against linux libs.

Christoph Kukulies stands accused of saying:

> The question came up here (since CERN currently doesn't supply
> support for their CERNLIB under FreeBSD) whether it would be possible
> to link against linux libraries.

Linux libraries, regrettably, will probably make Linux system calls.
(Although I could be wrong there).

Build a set of binutils with support for Linux-ELF and FreeBSD,
something like :

configure --target=i386-unknown-freebsd2.2,linux-unknown-elf

Then use the resultant 'ar' to break the libraries up, 'objcopy' to
convert the .o files to FreeBSD forat, then normal 'ar', 'lorder',
'ranlib' etc. to make them into libs that you can link with.

> Otherwise I fear that the Pentium Pro I have acquired here has to
> run under, sigh, Linux.

Bletch.  Note that it's not actually too hard to set up to build Linux
binaries under FreeBSD.  Whether this is desirable is arguable, but it
certainly can be done.

> I'm thinking of porting the libs to FreeBSD though (sources are

That would be far and away the best move; paticularly since you will
be able to take the moral high-ground with them over any spurious
incompatibilities they may have introduced 8)