Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2016 11:39:07 +0200
From:      olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Subject:   Re: Checking port option descriptions

On 2016-09-17 10:47, Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Friday 16 Sep 2016 20:09:06 Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>> Even when the meaning is clear in  global sense, what are the implications
>> for an application. E.g. "RTC=on: Add support for kernel real time clock"
>> in mplayer. I know exactly what the RTC is, but I have no idea why I might
>> or might not want it in mplayer.
>
> For cases where one line comments won't suffice how about providing the facility
> to include an extra text file in a port (perhaps "pkg-options") containing
> notes about why some particular options would be chosen?
>
> In its simplest form a user would be able to refer to the file before selecting
> an option, A further enhancement could be to modify the way that configure
> works so that the user can select an option and press "?" to see the section
> of text, if any, from pkg-options explaining that option.

This is already possible with the pkg-help file, but until now only 17 ports using this to provide additional information

I agree with the request from Warren, but looking over optcheck-output.txt we will find many false positives.

Sometimes the port defines a descriptive OPTION where it is hard to find a better description, also many ports using Mk/bsd.options.desc.mk, so the same description should match for example to a server or a client port (e.g. KERBEROS)

I suspect the list will contain less the 100 issues if reviewed in context of the port and the port category

Some samples from the list for "** just adding "enable support" is not a description"

audio/decibel-audio-player/Makefile
  AUDIOCD = AudioCD support

deskutils/py-bugwarrior/Makefile
  BUGZILLA = Enable Bugzilla support
  PHABRICATOR = Enable Phabricator support

dns/gdnsd/Makefile
  GEOIP = Enable GeoIP Support

games/imaze/Makefile
  JOYSTICK = Joystick support

graphics/devil/Makefile
  JPEG = Enable JPEG support  (one example for most every graphic format)

olli