Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 14:17:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        erinf@lusardi.com (Erin Fortenberry)
Cc:        support@kawartha.com, vagner@www.timandpatrick.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd

Erin Fortenberry wrote,
> Don't forget to restart inetd.

A SIGHUP will not terminate the inetd process. You do _not_ need to
restart it. From the manpage,

    "The inetd program rereads its configuration file when it receives a
     hangup signal, SIGHUP. Services may be added, deleted or modified when
     the configuration file is reread.  Except when started in debugging mode,
     inetd records its process ID in the file /var/run/inetd.pid to assist in
     reconfiguration."

So to the original poster, to have it re-read the file without the
need to lookup the PID,

# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`