Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 00:53:28 +0200
From:      "Várhelyi Aron" <archiethereal@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I can't get my AD1815 soundcard to work!

Hi!
I hope you can help me, I desperatly can't install my sound card.
Here is my configuation:
Celeron 600, 128Mb memory, Abit BE6 II motherboard, some kind of PCI network
card (Realtek) I think, Nvidia Vanta 8mb AGP video card,
and I run FreeBSD 4.4 current release (Amnesiac) on it, among others
(Red Hat Linux, Windows XP)
and the soundcard is an
Analog Devices AD1815 ISA model. (it is SbPro and mss compatible)

I, have recompiled my kernel several times, once with the
snd0 device and its driver, sbxvio, then with the VORTEX drivers
(i saw my cards driver under it, so I thought it would work)
Afterwards I have made a cd /dev/; sh MAKEDEV snd0 and the likes.
But it doesent worked. (eg. /dev/sndstat had no devices listed...)
I have entered the boot-time kernel-config menu and the sb0 device
was present with some conflicts, I' have resolved the conflicts but
it still doesent work.

I'have tried to dynamically load the driver into the kernel
(like added the line ad1816="YES" to the file /boot/loader.conf)
The driver loaded itself, but still silence from the soundcard.

Then I noticed, when I turn on the "PnP OS installed" option in my BIOS
i get a

unknow: Sound driver AD1816: cannot allocate resources

message from the sound driver when the system loads, otherwise (with the
option turned off) no message appears at all.

PS: Excuse me if I'm not so exact but i write from memory, because
    i am writeing from an internet caffe.

Thnx  for helping

PSII: The card is working under linux with the ad1816 driver.