Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:13:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: Certification (was RE: realpath(3) et al) - jumping to -advocacy

I am CC'ing -advocacy on this so we can officially move this
thread over (bc getting chastised hurts my inner-child).  Please
don't CC -security anymore, although I am in no position
whatsoever to enforce this request.  Now, to the topic...

I have the distinct pleasure of working at a huge telco so I
have a pretty good sense of what big business wants in
computing, which is: big-name company, commercial, supported,
reliable software/hardware with "canned" interoperability with
other like hardware/software.

So what would really push FreeBSD in the eyes of my non-tech
bosses (legion, for there are many) are things like:

RSA Ace server natively, which I believe the library exists, it
just costs $2000 or so, so this one might be BS.

A large company that has a roll-out hardware/software package.
This includes support.  I *know* that it is easy to patch/make
world, but the number of "computer engineers" that have never
heard of SSH is astounding.  Management needs a 3rd-party to
bitch about and know will still be around in 5 years.

A console port on the hardware platform.  Have you ever tried
sending management to the pcweasel web site?

As silly as it sounds (and I understand how silly it sounds), a
certification like the Red Hack one would help.  I apologize
profusely for saying that.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot but if we want a corporate sponsor
like my massive mother company (which rhymes with AT&C) then it
seems like we need different medium companies pushing FreeBSD
instead of redhat as a packaged solution.

=====