Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:31:05 +0100
From:      Jon Theil Nielsen <jontheil@gmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Samba: changing UNIX passwords from Windows

Hello

We have a FreeBSD server (7.0 BETA3) running as PDC (Samba 3.0.28) passwords
stored in tdbsam. Theres are no problems for users and machines to log on to
the network as long as they use the passwords I have made by smbpasswd -a
username. But I cannot make a working configuration which allows users to
change their own passwords on the server. They are told something like "You
do not have permission to change your password". I guess the problem is the
communication between Samba and the server, the passwd chat, but I'm not
sure. I have the following lines in smb.conf

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
unix password sync = Yes
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*passwordn* %n\n

I'm not sure the chat is correct and would like to hear about what migth be
more correct for this version of FreeBSD. I have tried to set passwd chat
debug = Yes, but that did not provide any useful (to me, at least)
information on the nature of the problem.
I haven't been able to find much information on this issue between FreeBSD
and Samba, bur I'm sure there must be a solution. I don't know if the
solution is to use another password database (e.g. LDAP), but this seems to
be a rather complicated issue too.

Regards,
Jon Theil Nielsen