Date:      Sat, 28 May 2011 06:46:22 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        mav@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: snd_hda : sometimes sound sometimes not

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 03:30:26PM +0200, David Demelier wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 08:47, David Demelier wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I don't know if there is a lot of changes in the snd_hda driver in the
> >-STABLE branch but since I upgraded to it sometimes I have sound and
> >sometimes not.
> >
> >The mixer are exactly the same when these event occurs. This happened
> >this morning. After booting I do not have any sound. I rebooted and
> >suddenly I've got sound again...
> >
> >I only tweak snd_hda(4) for a pin sense on the front panel (it has no
> >sound neither)
> >
> >So I added in /boot/devices.hints :
> >hint.hdac.1.cad0.nid27.config="as=1 seq=15"
> >
> >And there's the both dmesg ok.txt when sound is here and not.txt when
> >there isn't as you can see there is no difference related to the hda
> >driver.
> >
> >http://markand.malikania.fr/ok.txt
> >http://markand.malikania.fr/nok.txt
> >
> >I'm guessing something. My laptop has a mute shortcut, if I press it at
> >the BIOS stage I will not have sound neither thus is it possible that my
> >chipset is muted from anything?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >

> Sorry to cross-post again, but I just wanted to tell you that the
> problem disappeared in -CURRENT so now I just how the unknown bogus
> code will be MFC before 8.3-RELEASE

Unless someone can chime in with details of the commits which changed,
assuming "the magic change" will be MFC'd is a bad one.  It's safe to
say that when 8.3-RELEASE comes out if this problem haunts you again,
you will be mailing the list about it, and this cycle will continue
until 9.0-RELEASE comes out.

Does any developer/committer have familiarity with this issue and have
some ideas as to what may have changed in CURRENT that addresses David's
issue?  And if so, can that code be MFC'd safely or patches provided to
David for RELENG_8 that he can try out?

I'm CC'ing mav@ here (snd_hda(4) says he's one of the authors), although
he may not have any knowledge of the code which may need to be MFC'd.
He may be able to point us to who has a better idea though.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |