Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:36:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Paul Andrews <andrews@powersurfr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Building New Kernel

On 15-Jan-01 Paul Andrews wrote:
> I have just installed 4.2-RELEASE and am in the process of creating a new
> kernel so that my sound card is supported. I have just cvsup'd the latest
> source tree for RELENG_4.
>
> What I need to know is which command set should I use after editing
> MYKERNEL:
>
> Set #1
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>
> Set #2
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
> /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
> cd../../compile/MYKERNEL
> make depend
> make
> make install
>
> Second question is: Anyone had issues installing a SoundBlaster 16 PCI
> Soundcard into there kernel. Is "device pcm"  the only line required
> to get the soundcard built into the kernel?

To stir it up a bit I use set #2 as an old habit. And it works for me.

I use a SB16 PCI and have these lines in my kernel-config:

device          pcm0 at isa? port?        irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x15
device          sbc0 at isa? port 0x220   irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x15

(perhaps only the 1st one is really necessary)

/M

> Your advice and assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all
> those who reply.
>
> Paul Andrews

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se