Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 97 13:46:28 -0400
From:      "A. Ling" <aling@alum.mit.edu>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Advice/Experience with >2Gb IDE disks + early Phoenix 4.04 BIOS?

   Now that I've had a few months of good experiences with 2.2.2R, I'd
like to add a 4 Gb IDE disk for 2.2.5, but am concerned about a
possible BIOS problem.  FreeBSD will need to share the disk with OS/2
Warp Connect.
   If FreeBSD, once running, ignores the BIOS, then "not being able to
use the full capacity" (see below) probably doesn't pertain, but I'm a
bit worried that "crashing BIOS during bootup or upon detecting the
drive" is a problem that happens before FreeBSD gets control of the
machine.  I suppose I can limit myself to a 2 Gb disk to avoid the
problem, but I'm wondering before buying whether the list can suggest
any other option, or other basis for enthusiasm for even trying a 4 Gb
drive?
   My apologies in advance for a long post; I've tried to do my
homework.  The list archive says: