Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:01:50 -0700
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>, "Kerr, Chris" <hmmm@alaska.net>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ucd-snmp

Gary Palmer wrote:

> > my machines are not networked, so i need to install some ports
> > manually, why is there no file that says:
> >
> > put this here, put that there, check for this, make sure of that,
> > then MAKE ... ?
>
> probably 'cos it's not really needed. 99% of the time the ports
> collection works flawlessly.
>
> You want to put:
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/ucd-snmp-3.1.tar.gz
>
> into /usr/ports/distfiles.

ok, i'll re-fetch this (source code) ... it exists as named.

> Then you get ucd-snmp.tar.gz from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports-current/net/ and put it
> anywhere you like. Then you do:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports-current/net/ucd-snmp contains:

Makefile
files/(md5)
pathces/(patch-aa, patch-ab, patch-ac, patch-ad)
pkg/(COMMENT, DESCR, PLIST)

there is no ucd-snmp.tar.gz in there ...
and i'm scared that i should know what to do with the above files ...

> tar -zxf ucd-snmp.tar.gz
> cd ucd-snmp
> make
> su  (superfluous if you are already root)
> make install

i can handle this! :)

> That should work. If not, I really suggest you take this up with the
> ports mailing list (ports@freebsd.org)

i'll take this advice also ...