Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 13:59:49 -0600
From:      "RONALD SNOW" <rsnowman@msn.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   / not accepted

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C17FF0.9A1301A0

I am trying to do a standard installation on my second hard drive. It was=
 partitioned with Partition Magic to have an extended partition divided i=
nto two logical partitions for Linux. At the end of the drive is 6GB of u=
nused space. This is where I want to install FreeBSD 4.4.

When I get to the FDISK Partition Editor it shows the extended Linux part=
ition and the unused space. I select the unused space and hit 'c' to crea=
te the FreeBSD slice. The Value Required window comes up showing the size=
 of the unused space (5985). I hit enter and the next Value Required wind=
ow (Enter type of partition to create) comes up with 165 shown as the val=
ue. I hit OK and go back to the FDISK Editor. Now, is it necessary to set=
 the drive geometry at this point? Or, should I click on Q to finish this=
 stage?

If I click Q, I go to the Install Boot Manager window. I select Install t=
he FreeBSD Boot Manager and click OK which takes me to the FreeBSD Diskla=
bel Editor. I click on M and get the Value Required window saying "Please=
 specify a mount point for the partition". When I enter a / it says that =
a / is an invalid mount point for a DOS partition. =20

I have printed the installation instructions and I cannot find anything t=
o tell me a different procedure. Do I need to format the unused space bef=
ore I get to the Disklabel Editor? If so, how should I go about doing it?=
 =20

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C17FF0.9A1301A0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I am trying to=
 do a standard installation on my second hard drive. It was partitioned w=
ith Partition Magic to have an extended partition divided into two logica=
l partitions for Linux. At the end of the drive is 6GB of unused space. T=
his is where I want to install FreeBSD 4.4.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>=
When I get to the FDISK Partition Editor it shows the extended Linux part=
ition and the unused space. I select the unused space and hit 'c' to crea=
te the FreeBSD slice. The Value Required window comes up showing the size=
 of the unused space (5985). I hit enter and the next Value Required wind=
ow (Enter type of partition to create) comes up with 165 shown as the val=
ue. I hit OK and go back to the FDISK Editor. Now, is it necessary to set=
 the drive geometry at this point? Or, should I click on Q to finish this=
 stage?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>If I click Q, I go to the Install Bo=
ot Manager window. I select Install the FreeBSD Boot Manager and click OK=
 which takes me to the FreeBSD Disklabel Editor. I click on M and get the=
 Value Required window saying "Please specify a mount point for the parti=
tion". When I enter&nbsp;a / it says that a / is&nbsp;an invalid mount po=
int for a DOS partition. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I have printed the=
 installation instructions and I cannot find anything to tell me a differ=
ent procedure. Do I need to format the unused space before I get to the D=
isklabel Editor? If so, how should I go about doing it?&nbsp;<BR><BR></DI=