Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:31:45 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD administrator/consultant db on web...

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 11:09:44AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 February 1999 at 11:43:40 -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 10:16:22AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >> Well, if somebody wants to create and actively maintain a jobs page, I
> >> won't stand in their way.  It would have to be actively maintained,
> >> however, since there's nothing more useless than a page full of stale
> >> job listings that have already been filled and resumes from people who
> >> went back to full-time employment long ago.  If that happens, people
> >> will stop visiting the page and we'll have simply wasted our time.
> >
> > On my list of things to do is to create a FreeBSD jobs page for BAFUG. Not
> > only is stale job listings useless so are jobs hundres of miles away. Jobs
> > are local and job listing should also be.
>
> I disagree.  First, a lot of the work I do is in North America.
> Secondly, some areas are so underpopulated that they would have to
> find somebody elsewhere.  Where do they look if there are 30 different
> sites?
>
> I think the correct way to do this would be to start with a single
> world-wide page and subdivide when it gets too big.  It's obviously a
> good idea to sort it geographically.

Sorry, I guess I did not express my idea with any clarity. I rarely hear of
jobs in Chicago or Perth but I do hear of jobs in the Bay Area and in
LA. Yes, there should be a central point of reference but people in the
various geographic areas should run their own page. If there is one central
page instead of a page of links that would means either one person will be
getting a lot of job postings to add to the page or many people have
read/write privileges on this web site. Neither situation is optimal. A
page of links to geographicly maintained pages seems a good compromise.

My $0.002

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses