Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 19:12:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The verdict has come in..

-ports, Stefan, Andreas,

[ weary sigh ]

        My futile attempts at trying to allow for more than one version of Qt
1.42 and KDE 1.1.2 libraries (as in, compiled by more than one version of
gcc/g++) have failed. Of course, I spent a few hours hacking bsd.port.mk,
creating new ports (qt-newgcc-1.42, kdelibs11-newgcc-1.1.2), et cetera. It won't
work.

It seems like the only solution is for the kdelibs11 and qt142 ports to start
building using the newer g++.

If you (se, andreas) would prefer, I can update the ports myself (send-pr 'em
later this week) to achieve this effect. Bumping the shared library suffixes is
easy enough with Qt 1.42 (USE_QT), although kdelibs 1.1.2 would be another story
(there must be about 10-15 ports based on it).

Some people believe that this would only cause additional headaches for users
who update their KDE applications, since they would then have to download the
egcs distribution (which is somewhere around 10MB+, I believe), build and
install it. However, I believe this fear is unfounded, since people will have
to start using egcs in order to compile kde programs as they move further to
take advantage of the newer ANSI ISO C++ standards (i.e., <cmath>, <iostream>,
namespaces, etc.).

You might ask, is there any precedent for this move? I think the answer would
be YES: ports/x11/kde11-i18n ports/x11/kdelibs11-i18n ports/*/k*-i18n.

I think the benefit of moving to USE_NEWGCC in the qt142 and kdelibs11 ports
far outweighs its costs: we would now support many newer programs that are
coming out (I have already created ports for several that require the
USE_NEWGCC modifications to qt142/kdelibs11).

Why stick with an obsolete version of gcc? People are inviting enough bloat
when they decide they want to install KDE or Qt; there's no reason why they
shouldn't install egcs to achieve their intents.

As I have insisted many times before on this mailing list, we need to move
forward.. especially considering the near-future 3.4-RELEASE / 4.0-RELEASE.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>