Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2009 00:42:43 +0200
From:      Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@netscape.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New user - small file server questions and quick GUI question

> Running with no xorg.conf is fine, but you need to make sure dbus and
> hal are started at boot.  Follow the handbook for best results.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x-config.html

I'm sure I started them as this doc is exactly what I followed...... I
think if I recall correctly or at least something like it?? Anyway as
explained I will use Vbox to check 100% and then at least have proper
logs and cli output to compare to and give everyone an idea of what's
going on unlike now!

> If you're concerned about system resources, at least from a minimalist
> perspective, then ZFS is not for you.  Solaris can't help you with
> that either, ZFS is hungry.  ZFS is also not "standard", but
> considered production ready.  UFS is still the standard, and the only
> filesystem supported by the installer without resorting to tricks.

Yes ZFS is hungry :-)

I run Solaris 10 on an ancient Sun Netra T105 server with 360MB of RAM
which uses ZFS file system and apart being a reverse proxy it won't
handle anything else easily. Also my E420r server with 1GB of RAM
running Sun Ray software is limited to just that and can only handle 1
Ray unit on top of the SXCE (Solaris Express Community Edition) OS.

I know how strong UFS v.1 is as I use it with Solaris 9, but how about
UFS v.2 which is what FreeBSD runs?? When compared with ext3 from a
performance/reliability perspective which one comes on top?

Also if something goes wrong with the filesystem what are the tools to
check the drive and repair errors as in Linux I use e2fsck followed by
device ID. As mention UFS v.1 is incredibly strong especially when run
on SCSI II drives that the Sun Netra T105 uses so I haven't had an FS
failure yet and if UFS v.2 is similar I don't suspect having a failure
either although this machine will have IDE drives and uses x86
architecture as opposed to SPARC.

In fact I am only really after ZFS for its self healing properties as I
don't mind going with any file system as long as it's stable. Ext3
although easily repairable is quite unstable on my systems anyway!

> All the other services work well on FreeBSD.
>

> --
> Adam Vande More

Cool, thanks Adam! :-) I appreciate the response.

Kaya