Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:44:55 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere: build on on server, rsync to another

On 27/09/2019 15:26, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on putting a new poudriere build server into production at work.
>
> At present, we build packages on one server & deploy them from another server.
>
> The package build server mounts an NFS share from /usr/local/poudriere/data/packages
>
> The package distribution server mounts that same NFS share in RO-mode. All hosts install from this server.
>
> I want to change this. The goal:
>
> * poudriere builds to local disk
> * /usr/local/poudriere/data/packages will be rsync'd later to NFS
> * the build & rsync process will not be serial/linked (i.e. a build will not trigger an rsync)
>
> My concern: will this work? Will the package distribution server get incomplete sets of packages?
>
> Thank you.

If you enable the ATOMIC_PACKAGE_REPOSITORY setting in poudriere.conf,
then you won't see inconsistencies because you're rysnc'ing while
poudriere is in the middle of re-building the repository.

You might see inconsistencies because someone is trying to install
packages while you're in the middle of rsyncing an updated repository.
However, the atomic package repository mechanism works by juggling
symbolic links at the top of the /usr/local/poudriere/data/packages
directory tree -- if you arrange things to rsync any subdirectories
first, and then finally synch over the symbolic link bits, you should be
golden.

Although, just sticking a webserver onto your poudriere build box would
likely be easier overall and less effort to maintain.

	Cheers,

	Matthew