Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 04:58:14 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ppp.log question

Hi,

I've got user ppp running on my machine, and looking at the /var/log/ppp.log logfile, I've
noticed that every ten seconds from connection to disconnect there is a

Jun 10 04:05:14 server ppp[141]: tun0: LCP: deflink: RecvEchoRequest(1) state = Opened
Jun 10 04:05:14 server ppp[141]: tun0: LCP: deflink: SendEchoReply(1) state = Opened

each time with an increased number here----------------------------+

The only question i have really is is this normal? the only reason i ask is that i think
it may be keeping the net connection alive even when there's no data flowing (having said
that though, it may well be a program running on another of the machines on our network
that is keeping it active, so these messages may be nothing to do with the net connection
staying on).

Basically, I'm just trying to work out if it's normal to have this happening every ten
seconds, or if i've got somethign wrong in my config.

TIA.

Regards,
Mark