Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:31:48 -0700
From:      "Brian Duke" <brian@box201.com>
To:        "'Brooks Davis'" <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: cvsup freebsd 6_2 to freebsd 7_1 not upgrading?

This is very odd.
I got desperate last night and steeled myself for a reinstall. Copied all
the known keeper files to an alternate drive including /home, /etc,
/usr/local/etc and a couple others. It's on a completely separate drive with
no OS just files on it. I downloaded what I thought was 7.1 iso and burned
the image to disks from my spare windows machine. I sure of it as I made a
point to upgrade to 7.1

I stuck in the install disk and rebooted.
I didn't mess with fdisk left it the same.
Used disk druid to set the mount points like they were before and toggle
newfs to Yes.

I watched the install perform a newfs on the mount points. As it was loading
the new kernel and support files I kept seeing snippets saying file for
FreeBSD 7.0 loaded. I figured there were legacy files being added and let it
continue. The install disks loaded everything with success. The
congratulation screen popped up and set the final options. I got to the
reboot and it warned me to take out the disk before rebooting.

While booting I saw right after choosing normal boot it said proudly
"FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE".

My question is this, after a system boots from the CD, performs a newfs,
loads everything in /usr perfectly as all my /home directories are gone and
/root is empty. How can a kernel continue to exist?

I'm done with newfs as that seems to have no effect. I'm going to fdisk the
system now and seriously mess with the MBR. But just before I do, anyone
have any idea how install disks doing a standard install do not overwrite
the kernel?

Agrapha...