Date:      Thu, 10 May 2007 09:07:13 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk serial number.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Can someone confirm this is the right thing to do to get SCSI disk
> serial number?
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/scsi_da_ident.patch
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Can someone help me with other drivers?

The serial number that CAM obtains comes from a page 0x80 inquiry.  It
is known to be rather unreliable in its uniqueness.  The SCSI spec
allows the target to return a non-zero length of all 0x20 characters if
it so desires.  Most applications that need a unique drive identifier
try to obtain the WWN from page 0x83 instead, and fall back to
hueristics with page 0x80 if that fails.

Scott