Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:37:24 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Request for Cluster Recommendations

Hello Andy,

Monday, April 5, 2004, 10:24:20 AM, you wrote:
> Seti@home is very nice indeed.  I am a participant as
> well (Captain Blank)

Personally, I tend to think stuff like Folding is a bit more useful
than Seti which just computes something (without much theory behind it
to boot).

>>Starting out with 100Mbit may make sense as
>>a cheaper/simpler startup - no NIC
>>purchases.  After running some simulation
>>and benchmarking with the apps, upgrading to Gigabit wouldn't be an undue burden.
> That's not a bad idea, but many of the 1U servers (not to mention
> the better motherboards (such as ASUS) are with GB as standard).
> The switch is a little more expensive, but not that drastic.

Even the cheaper are quickly shipping with GigE as standard. In fact,
the next Southbridge revisions all incorporate GigE (also decoupled
from PCI BUS, so you can actually do something besides pushing data
over the LAN).

>>Some initial attempts at estimating
>>communication & compute demands would
>>be in order. Aside from the fiber options, is the cabling the same for 100Mbit and Gbit?
> Using Cat6 -- yes, but we have also used cat 5 with some success.
> If you start wth CAT-6 you will always win.

Did you release FREP? If so, were?

Best regards,
 Gabriel