Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:05:11 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dominic Marks <dom@goodforbusiness.co.uk>, CyberSans AirBort <cybersans@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: bug on BTX

On Friday 22 September 2006 10:39, Dominic Marks wrote:
> CyberSans AirBort wrote:
> > hello guys, sorry if i send email to wrong address.
> >
> > i have tested 6.2-BETA and the same problem still appear when i want to
> > install it into compaq evo desktop; BTX HALTED.
> >
> > like previous version, it stucks when booting from cd on the first
> > installation. i have follow so many discussion around the internet, and
> > they
> > are blaming compaq BIOS, some of them give solution such as change hdd
mode
> > from extended DMA to max PIO, but it won't work. and for your information,
> > this machine had no problem when installed with windows or linux.
> >
> > please guys, i hope there will be a fixed on 6.2 so that it will load,
> > installed, and run on my compaq evo desktop
>
> Go into the BIOS, disable BIOS DMA transfers **. After that it
> will boot
> normally. I have about 20 EVOs, which this change they run fine. This
> is true of all versions of FreeBSD I have ever tried.
>
> ** I can't remember the exact name of the option, but it is something
> along those lines.

Hmm, are you willing to test a change that should fix that?  If so, try
http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/btx_crx.patch  You'll need to do
a 'make clean && make && make install' in /sys/boot after applying, and if
the make install suceeeds, do a 'bsdlabel -B ad0s1' (replace ad0s1 with the
actual slice you boot from).  I think it should work (I think it was tested a
while ago, but boot2 used to not fit, now it does though).  Be warned though
that if it doesn't work, you won't be able to boot from your disk.  If that
happens and you have a 6.x disc 1 lying around, you can boot into rescue mode
and re-run 'bsdlabel' and move boot/loader.old to boot/loader on the root
partition to get your system back.  Ideally you'd try this on a system with
data you don't care about (i.e., it's ok to just do a reinstall if it is
hosed).

--
John Baldwin