Date:      07 Jul 2002 00:45:34 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        Adam Wood <woodfucius@attbi.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Dynamic DNS Client experiences?

--=-A5Xsrl/X2LjCJ4+98NWS

Hi All,
   Strange thing happening to me here with the name server information
supplied to me by ZoneEdit.com.., I've tried now on two occasions to use
their nameserver name in registering my preferred domain name, but I
keep getting this error:

The name server is not valid: NS1.ZONEEDIT.COM

This happened at two certified registrars: Go Daddy Software &
DomainMonger.com

I'm hoping that some of the list members who have indicated that they=20
use ZoneEdit get back to me with what thoughts they might have on what
I've experienced here., Maybe they've a gotcha or two to share?

Stacey

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 23:56, Adam Wood wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I'm hoping to get some of the list members' thoughts and=20
> > experiences with various dynamic DNS client programs here.
> >=20
> > I'm interested in running some services from a home network,=20
> > and I've decided to give the folks at ZoneEdit try - in case=20
> > anyone's interested.,
> >=20
> > So any suggestions, comments, experiences and gotchas that=20
> > could assist me, are welcome.
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> I use ZoneEdit - they're great.  Lynx (/usr/ports/www/lynx) works fine
> for updating my address.  I have a cron job that runs the following
> script once a week.
>=20
> #!/bin/sh
> # Script to update IP address at ZoneEdit.
> lynx -source -auth=3DUSERNAME:PASSWORD
> 'http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=3Dwoodfucius.com'
>=20
> chmod the script to 700 and you're all set.
>=20
> Hope that helps,
> Adam
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer