Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2002 03:51:25 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Jan Beck <janb@cs.utep.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddisk damage by driver?

Jan Beck wrote:
> That brings up a very good question. How many people have had problems due
> to overheating?
>
> I have had the very odd problem of having 2 IDE drives die over the past
> month, most likely due to overheating, since it gets very hot in my dual
> athlon system. These drives had very high usage at almost all times. In my
> file server, however, the hard drives get VERY hot. So much so, that you
> can't touch them without burning your hands. All the drives in the file
> server have been running well over a year in those conditions and I haven't
> had any problems with it. The server load itself is very light, however.
>
> I have heard of drives failig due to heat, but never due to usage. But I can
> guarantee that the 7200 RPM drives in the file server are much hotter than
> the drives in the workstations were.
>
> Does usage have any bearing on drive life? It seems that the cooling is not
> important as long as the usage load on the drives is fairly low...
>
> Or have I just been really lucky?
>
> JAn

Overheating sure can cause all kinds of hardware failures.
I have seen boxes chew through drives at insane rates, and
improved cooling and airflow does very often if not always fix
the problem.
Check any drive vendors homepage and you will probably find that
they specify a recomended operating temperature and clearly
states that a higher temperature may damage your drives.