Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:50:34 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Zachary M. Smith" <zach@unsecure.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IBM DNES-309170 LVD Problems

[moved to -questions; this isn't SCSI material]

On Sunday, 26 December 1999 at 22:51:31 -0500, Zachary M. Smith wrote:
> I just purchased three IBM DNES-309170 drives and planned on using Vinum
> to configure them in a RAID 0 and/or 5 setup.  I have read a bit a vinum
> and now I am trying to get the drives ready to be used in a few simple
> vinum tests.  however, i am running into some problems that i am hoping
> you folks can help me with.
>
> 1. I can create FDISK partitions on the disk just fine.  Once I get an
> FDISK partition setup, I try to use disklabel to change the partition type
> to vinum, but when i try to write the changes to the label, disklabel
> tells me "operation not supported by device"

From what you show below, you're running disklabel against /dev/da0.
This is not correct; you should run it against the raw complete
partition /dev/rda0c.  The distinction between /dev/da0c and
/dev/rda0c will go away in 4.0, but the distinction between /dev/da0c
and /dev/da0 remains important.  disklabel gives you a shorthand way
to do this:  'disklabel da0'.

> 2. I have also tried to create slices in my FDISK partition just to test
> the drive, but I am unable to create slices.  I get the error
> "Device rda0s1c: name slot allocation failed (Errno=17)"

I haven't seen this one.  It's probably a result of earlier errors.

Greg