Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2007 01:05:18 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1186117148.bb0221@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with mysql database

In the last episode (Jul 29), David Banning said:
> I have recently converted from mysql 4.1 to 5.0 and some of my tables
> are not recogized. Using the mysql_upgrade utility is not effective
> as -it- does not recognize certain tables.
>
> On closer examination I see that the tables that are -not- recognize
> have the following extensions;
>
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  147787 Jul 23 02:44 company.ISD
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql   13312 Jul 23 02:44 company.ISM
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql    9064 Dec  8  2006 company.frm
>
> while the tables that have no problem have different extensions;
>
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  3592 Jul 28 23:49 Employees.MYD
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1024 Jul 28 23:49 Employees.MYI
> -rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  9174 Dec 19  2006 Employees.frm
>
> Any idea whats going on here?

You may have missed:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/upgrading-from-4-1.html#id2794303

  Incompatible change:  Support for the ISAM storage engine has been
  removed in MySQL 5.0.  If you have any ISAM tables, you should
  convert them before upgrading.  For example, to convert an ISAM table
  to use the MyISAM storage engine, use this statement:

  ALTER TABLE tbl_name ENGINE = MyISAM;

  Use a similar statement for every ISAM table in each of your databases.

ISAM tables were actually deprecated back in 3.23 and the manual
predicted that support would be gone in 5.0.  You'll need to
temporarily drop down to 4.1, or copy those table files to a 4.1
server, convert to MyISAM, then copy them back.

If you have made a mysqldump of your tables recently, you can also
delete your existing database files and reload from the dump; 5.0 will
ignore the ENGINE=ISAM option and create MyISAM tables.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com