Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:54:33 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@earthlink.net>
To:        Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade ideas page

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:48:05 +0400
Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Portupgrade ideas page was created on our wiki server:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/portupgrade
>
> I would like to hear your ideas, wishes and comments.

The INDEX fetched by "make fetchindex" almost never exactly matches
the ports tree that was cvsupped.  Usually it works fine but I have
seen on more than one occasion where portversion reports ports
having a version higher than the one in the INDEX.  Consequently,
I went back to building my own INDEX locally.

It would be nice if there were a way to synchronize your ports tree
to the snapshot used to create the INDEX used by "make fetchindex".
If I could figure out the date/time for that snapshot, then I
could cvsup using a "default date=YYYY.MM.DD.HH.MM.SS" in my
supfile.

All things considered, I find the tools used to build ports work
quite nicely.  I've been updating ports several times a week for
about 6 or 7 years now with very few problems related to the tools
themselves.

Thanks,

Randy